Monday, March 17, 2014

I was a little hesitant to begin reading A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway simply because I'm not a huge reader. I have heard so much of his work and kind of thought that it might not reach into something I was interested in. After the first 50 pages I will say that I am pleasantly surprised about what I am reading. The story takes place in Paris and is told through the eyes of Hemingway himself. It describes his day to day activities throughout the city and goes into great detail about the unique bars, restaurants and shops he often visits. Only 50 pages in and I can tell that Hemingway loved to drink, he often described the various wines or other beverages he enjoys throughout the story. Hemingway is very descriptive in his writing about the various things he comes into contact with this was evident in the very first chapter as he describes a beautiful women he notices at a bar. His writing instantly puts an image of what this women could have looked like into your head and I think this is one of the qualities of this story that I have enjoyed. Hemingway puts you directly into Paris with his various descriptions of the cool, damp, and bare sky of the winter time. I also noticed that in just the first 50 pages he visits a number of interesting and cool places. These places included various bars, museums, shops, and even the horse track. It is because of these qualities that I looked forward to reading the remainder of the book!

1 comment: