Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The further I read the more interested I become in the way Ernest Hemingway writes. He writes in a way that is very short and to the point. Early in the book he describes the way in which he begins his work with the most simple sentence he can think of and goes from there. He goes into more description of how he writes in the chunk that I have just read. He referred to his ability to deal with hunger as he works and how writing while he is hungry makes him a better writer. He feels as though he is able to notice smaller details in things around him when he is hungry. I took this as he is more focused on his writing when he is working on an empty stomach. This characteristic of Hemingway I found to be odd. Writing is his craft and being able to perform in that craft better when he is starving was interesting to read about. Another thing I found interesting in this portion of the story was the conversation Hemingway had with Miss Stein about the generation of that time period. She refers to it as the "lost generation." She felt very strongly that all of the men in this generation were drunks and then in turn were worthless.

1 comment: